I know I have talked about my love of Jimmy Buffett before and since I am went to a Buffett concert this weekend, I have been listening to a lot of his music. My favorite Buffett song is “Fruitcakes.” My best friend Mer and I can recite the opening to the song at a drop off a hat and tend to give each other Junior Mints as birthday presents. (I want Junior Mints! Where did Junior Mints go in the movies these days?!?)
Nestled in the lyrics of “Fruitcakes” is some very good relationship advice:
But the right word at the right time
May get me a little hug
That’s the difference between lightning
And a harmless lightning bug
“Fruitcakes” isn’t the only song with relationship advice gems, and since I am still Havana daydreaming, I thought I would share the wisdom of Jimmy Buffett today…
- “Believe it and it will come true”- Off to See the Lizard
Stay positive. Know and believe that one argument will not break your marriage. Believe in the strength of your marriage and you will overcome any obstacle.
- “And the walls that won’t come down; We can decorate or climb; Or find some way to get around; ‘Cause I’m still on your side”- Coast of Carolina
We come into a marriage with a past and sometimes that past makes us put up walls. Your marriage will be stronger if you work together to overcome whatever wall might be up. The best way to climb over that wall? Honest communication because remember your spouse is “still on your side” and will support you.
- “If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane” -Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Laugh together. Laughter always makes the hard times better.
- “One has to learn havin’ fun is just smilin’ through; Those Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes”- Happily Ever After (Now and Then)
After all, marriage has a lot of ups and downs. So even during those hard times, try to smile and still have a good time together. After all the bad times are temporary and you don’t want to leave a “permanent reminder of a temporary feeling” by being negative!
- “You got to bend a little no matter which side you’re on”- Bend a Little
Compromise goes a long way to makes your marriage stronger.
- “All I want’s the quiet and the comforts; That livin’ with my lovely lady brings”- My Lovely Lady
Enjoy every little moment marriage offers.
Now that you have been enlightened by the wisdom of Buffett, remember that “it’s a jungle out there kiddies; have a very fruitful day!”